Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time-July 21, 2024

This Sunday, we are given a message of hope about the ultimate shepherd, Jesus Christ —  a figure of humility, courage and patience. He is one who looks after us, and who looks for us when we have wandered from the fold and find ourselves lost.

This Sunday’s Gospel from Mark adds something else: a poignant and consoling reminder of what could only be described as transcendent love. Behold the Sacred Heart: “When he saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them.”

This is what sets him apart: Our Lord is a shepherd of compassion, empathy and mercy. He does more than merely tend his sheep. He is invested in them. He stays close.  (Catholic Courier)

We pray for the sick of our parish and for those who care for them. We pray for those who have died recently and those whose anniversaries occur at this time. May they share the fullness of God's life promised by the Good Shepherd, who leads them home.



 Parish Offerings and Collections:  If at all possible, please continue to support St. Margaret's by mailing in your donation or dropping off during office hours or in the rectory mailbox.  Thanks to all for your support.






Membership is $40 and we welcome and invite all women of the parish, 16 years of age and over, to join or renew their membership to this very worthy organization. 





For up-to-date information on events and happenings around the diocese, please log into www,



88 Clayte Street
Thunder Bay, ON
P7A 6S5
Phone: 807-344-9045
Fax: 807-345-8993

St. Margaret

Pastor: Fr. Ciarán Donnelly

Parish Secretary:

Rose Marie Doliska

Music Ministry:

Maureen McGrath

Tuesdays, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.


Office Hours

SATURDAY - 5:00 p.m.

SUNDAY - 10:00 a.m.

Mass Intentions

July 6-August 4, 2024

St. Margaret's Inside


St. Margaret's was the third parish to be created in response to the needs of a growing population in the residential area of Brent Park in Port Arthur and as a relief to the increasing demands placed on St. Andrew's Church. The construction and opening of St. Margaret's Roman Catholic School on Clayte Street in 1954 prompted Bishop Jennings to investigate the purchase of property owned by the Sisters of St. Joseph adjacent to the school. "It would make another very fine little Catholic corner of Port Arthur" wrote Bishop Jennings, "considering that there is such a splendid school already there". The Fort William Diocese purchased one acre across from the school and, until a church could be built on the property, Sunday and some weekday masses and services, conducted by the Jesuits at St. Andrew's were held at St. Margaret's School. In March 1957 Bishop Jennings blessed and dedicated a new church on the property to be known as St. Margaret's chapel-of-ease "to provide a convenient centre of worship for the more distant members of the already larger than capacity congregation of St. Andrew's". Four years later, the chapel-of-ease was elevated to the status of a full-fledged parish with Father J.E. Roenicke as its first pastor.

Church Entrance
St. Margaret's Chapel


Baptism: Parish Membership, Preparation Class and 3-months notice required.

Attached Baptism Registration PDF

Marriage: Parish Membership, Preparation Class and 1-year notice required.

Reconciliation: Saturdays 4:30-5:00 p.m. on request.

First Reconciliation/First Communion/Confirmation: Information to follow



To become a member of St. Margaret's Parish,

please complete the Registration Form.

Registration Form